Why Buy a Rolex?

April 14, 2016

Once you've made the decision to purchase a luxury watch, the logical first question to ask yourself would be - from who? There are many luxury watchmakers with long histories and large product offerings - Cartier, Patek Philippe, Panerai and Omega, to name a few. All of them are top of the line and offer beautiful timepieces. 

exterior photo of rolex bienne switzerland site
Rolex Bienne, Switzerland (photo: Rolex/Rémy Lidereau)
What set Rolex apart for me when I was on the market for a luxury watch was a combination of design aesthetic, legacy and technical innovation. When compared to the interesting new designs that have a appeared on the market recently - from skeleton watches to smart watches - Rolex watches may appear a bit traditional or even simple. However, it is their adherence to classical style and elegance that made me go with a Rolex in the end.

While smart watches are trendy, there's just something about having another digital screen to look at every day that turned me off from them. And I love the artistic look of skeleton watches, but the legibility is an issue for me - and why wear a watch if you can't tell the time on it? If I had a budget for multiple luxury timepieces I would buy one of each for different occasions. But I don't, so I went with what made the most sense for me.

photo of interior of rolex workshop
Rolex Workshop (photo: Rolex/Jean-Daniel Meyer)
Another factor that helped me decide on a Rolex for my first luxury watch purchase was the company's history. Learning about Rolex's founder, Hans Wilsdorf, and his obsession with reliability, innovation and excellence was compelling to me. I had always seen Rolex watches as a status symbol, but I never really asked myself why this brand was associated with success more so than any other.

That enduring success is also largely due to the technical innovations that Rolex has developed over the years. While Rolex models don't seem to change dramatically over the years, the movements inside have seen many improvements. Rolex is a vertically integrated company and they manufacture most of their movements, precious metals, steel bracelets and cases in house.

These are the main reasons that I decided to purchase a Rolex watch, but I would be remiss not to mention the fact that I inherited a Rolex from my grandfather and wore it for years before deciding to purchase one for myself. I ultimately chose a different model, but that experience certainly informed my purchase decision.

>>BACK TO ROLEX SHOPPING GUIDE

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Post

Rolex Online Resources